Facts on honey and cinnamon:
I am not so sure about the cinnamon. Here in Brazil, girls learn from mom and grandma that it will help you get your monthly period faster. That's the reason why it is also used as an abortive tool by poorer girls. I wouldn't know if it works [Image: sad.gif] [Image: prayer3.gif]. And that's why cinnamon is a huge no-no when I am pregnant, or when a Brazilian woman is pregnant. Maybe it's just an old ladies' tale, but I won't question this tradition out of fear (old ladies get it right so many times after all....). Even my husband won't let me have anything with cinnamon during the first 3 months of pregnancy (in case I give into temptation and try to say "it's sooooo little cinnamon it won't hurt the baby"). Nope. Pregnant means no cinnamon in this country. [Image: shameonyou.gif] Also, no honey for the baby during the first year of life. I can't remember the exact reason, but maybe it's to prevent botulism or something.
Quote:  am not so sure about the cinnamon. Here in Brazil, girls learn from mom and grandma that it will help you get your monthly period faster.

Really that is wierd. How does it do that. Is cinnamon still heathy for you then?
I know that's weird. How it would do it, I really have no idea! But it is known by almost every girl and woman here that it does work. Your period comes and the cramps that usually go with it don't.
You see, even though Brazil is an industrialized country, many habits and traditions persist concerning food, medicine and even religion. Some things you'll just get used to. I consider myself not very prone to silly traditions. I have a degree in Philosophy and my husband is a college professor.  But I won't take my chances with cinnamon. Portuguese is our official language, but when it comes to names of fruits, food in general and medicines, about 30% of them are direct words from Tupi, the Indian language. So many habits we have as to which fruit is OK for you to eat, which is not, which foods you can combine, which you can't, this all comes from Indian traditions and use. For instance, nobody here will drink a mix of milk and mango. We learn from a very early age it will make you sick.
A few years ago though, a big research was made and they found out those two foods can in fact be consumed together. Still, nobody bought it. Maybe is psychological, but those who will drink milk and mangoes, do get very very sick. [Image: puke.gif]
Again, I'm not saying do not eat cinnamon if you're pregnant. I really have no idea how it works or doesn't work. But still ... I'll be very glad to follow my grandmother's old saying concerning this! [Image: wink.gif]

Ok I understand it now. I like the part where no cramps come.
Since I am going on about Brazilian traditions concerning cinnamon, here it goes. To prevent cramps, mix a bit of cinnamon with a cup of really hot (not warm, HOT) milk. You can add a spoon or two of sugar. It's really good! Tastes wonderful! [Image: gimmefood.gif] [Image: coffee.gif].
Hi Maria,
Your posts on cinnamon are fascinating! I have never heard any of these things concerning cinnamon, but I know (not sure which ones off-hand) certain herbs are to be avoided during pregnancy. If you ever do come across some scientific backing for these beliefs, please do share!

Also, is the cinnamon/hot milk prevention good for curing the cramps if you already have them?
-Robin
Mariafrombrazil Wrote:Since I am going on about Brazilian traditions concerning cinnamon, here it goes. To prevent cramps, mix a bit of cinnamon with a cup of really hot (not warm, HOT) milk. You can add a spoon or two of sugar. It's really good! Tastes wonderful! [Image: gimmefood.gif] [Image: coffee.gif].

Im gona definitly try this thanks for all the tips.
catheotimus Wrote:Hi Maria,
Your posts on cinnamon are fascinating! I have never heard any of these things concerning cinnamon, but I know (not sure which ones off-hand) certain herbs are to be avoided during pregnancy. If you ever do come across some scientific backing for these beliefs, please do share!

Also, is the cinnamon/hot milk prevention good for curing the cramps if you already have them?
-Robin

Hi, Robin.
I am glad to help. [Image: tiphat2.gif]
Yes, hot milk+cinnamon does help with cramps if you already have them. It works miracles! Let me know if our little Brazilian tradition worked for you.
(But I'd never have it if there was a small chance I was pregnant, though).

liliaagri Wrote:I've had a cough since July. I'm going to try it.

Has it worked for you we ran out of honey before we could finish.