Practicing "detective" skills.
Are there any practical ways to improve in the areas of a) being more observant and b) being able to make sound inferences from observations made? I know a lot of it is just being more experienced and knowledgeable with regard to what is being observed, in order to notice details that the inexperienced wouldn't, but I was wondering if there were ways to practice and grow in these skills independently. Sorry if this is an obscure question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galahad3's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(01-13-2022, 09:35 AM)Galahad3 Wrote: Are there any practical ways to improve in the areas of a) being more observant and b) being able to make sound inferences from observations made? I know a lot of it is just being more experienced and knowledgeable with regard to what is being observed, in order to notice details that the inexperienced wouldn't, but I was wondering if there were ways to practice and grow in these skills independently. Sorry if this is an obscure question.
Study logic from a classical logic text, go people watching, and just go places and watch and listen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesius's post:
  • Galahad3
(01-13-2022, 09:49 AM)Genesius Wrote: Study logic from a classical logic text, go people watching, and just go places and watch and listen.

Simple enough! Any recommendations on texts?
(01-13-2022, 09:35 AM)Galahad3 Wrote: Are there any practical ways to improve in the areas of a) being more observant and b) being able to make sound inferences from observations made? I know a lot of it is just being more experienced and knowledgeable with regard to what is being observed, in order to notice details that the inexperienced wouldn't, but I was wondering if there were ways to practice and grow in these skills independently. Sorry if this is an obscure question.
Occupational health and safety courses teach this type of training, including workplace hazard assessment, and incident/accident investigation training.  Although H&S training is somewhat focused in a specific scope, the training fundamentals are cross transferable. Simple example, you walk into a warehouse and you see a man lying on the floor next to a step ladder. Immediate reaction is to say he fell off the ladder, but this training is meant to tell you what does the scene and the environment tell you? Perhaps some thing on the roof where he was working fell and hit him in the head before he got on the ladder, Perhaps he was electrocuted when he touched the ladder, Or perhaps There is an active gas leak and he succumbed.  Observations and conclusions based training is very very informative and good to have.  You can find a lot of these courses online also
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • Galahad3
Excellent, Tax Collector. I may look into that. Part of the reason I am inquiring is because I work in quality control, and I want to set out a "continuous improvement" track for myself, and what you are talking about seems highly transferable to my line of work. That's not the only reason but it's a big part of it.
Definitely read the reviews before buying, but this may be of interest. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Sherlock-Observation/dp/1843179539/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T0VSN4ZG4VGM&keywords=how+to+think+like+sherlock+holmes&qid=1642097627&s=books&sprefix=how+to++like+sherlock+holmes%2Cstripbooks%2C68&sr=1-3
(01-13-2022, 02:15 PM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Definitely read the reviews before buying, but this may be of interest. 

https://www.amazon.com/How-Think-Like-Sherlock-Observation/dp/1843179539/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T0VSN4ZG4VGM&keywords=how+to+think+like+sherlock+holmes&qid=1642097627&s=books&sprefix=how+to++like+sherlock+holmes%2Cstripbooks%2C68&sr=1-3
This looks very interesting. Have you read it and do you vouch for it?
See the page on Prudence in the "Becoming Virtuous" pages: https://www.fisheaters.com/becomingvirtuous.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Galahad3
(01-13-2022, 09:49 AM)Genesius Wrote:
Study logic from a classical logic text, go people watching, and just go places and watch and listen.
I watched some videos and I barely remember it. I am not a good learner.
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly
(01-13-2022, 03:23 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: See the page on Prudence in the "Becoming Virtuous" pages: https://www.fisheaters.com/becomingvirtuous.html
I do not read so well. : / UNLESS it is written in a VERY specific manner them I can. The prudence one has a puzzle that I cannot understand. I hate games tbh. I hate puzzles. And if I am to be good at something I have to enjoy it. And I do not enjoy reading really. I used to but school destroyed it. Which is why I often daydream of razing all the public schools to the ground. The most I have read in the past couple years since my conversion is the 4 gospels and a few epistles. That is it. It also does not help that I have no patience for novels so the last novel I tried to read, I just looked up the plot online. I have no patience for that bullcrap. Instead of reading books I just look up the plots.

edit: Reject the above statements. The truth is, I hate prudence because I will NEVER be prudent. My mind is too numb to learn and discern. I automatically categorize people as threats to my sanity and keep them away. I do not plan to talk to people about my my faith because I hope to be alone as much as I can
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly