Why does God not punish the wicked on this earth?
Again, I invite you to pray the Act of Faith, which accords with what Marmot has written.

O MY GOD, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; I believe that Thy divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived. Amen.

One believes on the authority of God, not based on one's own reasoning. Otherwise, one lacks divine and Catholic faith.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clare Brigid's post:
  • HailGilbert
(01-19-2022, 03:44 PM)Melkite Wrote: What you describe is blind faith.  I don't have any respect for it.  People have blind faith in other religions as well. Supernatural faith is not the same thing as blind faith, and does not preclude rational evidences for it.  In fact, I'd say blind faith is even a bad thing, because it means you haven't tested what your placing your faith in to see if it is any more worthy of your faith than any other belief system that demands it.  Blind faith is one where a person has chosen to blissfully place their faith in something because it subjectively appeals to them.  This is not of a supernatural nature.
I think we are supposed to use our reason to take the steps required to conclude that the Catholic Church is indeed the Church of Christ, and of course to learn and understand what the Church teaches. However, once we possess supernatural faith and believe in the Church, we must not withhold our assent to something we know to be taught by the Church until such time as we are convinced by arguments. This would be a sin against faith. It is still good to learn and understand arguments in favor of the teaching, because by doing so we can help our fellow man by removing obstacles to belief:
1 Peter 3:15 Wrote:But sanctify the Lord Christ in your hearts, being ready always to satisfy every one that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you.
(01-19-2022, 12:46 PM)Melkite Wrote: If you just regurgitate what the Catholic Church teaches, you might be right, but it's worthless to me if you don't understand why it's right.  You'd be no different than a sheep.

So that's it.  Pride.  No one owes you an explanation.  And yes we are the sheep who follow His hand.

I also note that you tend to always want the last word.  You sow discord to satisfy your need to be right.  Can you please just knock it off?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matas's post:
  • Clare Brigid
(01-19-2022, 12:25 PM)Matas Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 08:14 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 08:08 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I don't accept your statement.  I believe that when you like a post, it means you like the post.  That's the assumption that I'll go on.

Maybe you should amend your statement:  "When I like batshit crazy posts, it doesn't mean that I like them.  Well, I don't necessarily like their content, but I like their chutzpah.  Yeah, that's it."
You know, my child  I've even "like"ed some of your batshit crazy posts, believe it or not. When, in future, you misread things into what I've written, well....I guess I'll just have to either try to clarify it for you or...just ignore it.

Anything else you'd like to argue or nit-pick about?

IMHO Clare generally does not make batshit crazy posts.  And I say generally only because I've not read all of her posts.  What posts she does make seem rational and on-point to me.   However, I do believe that J Michael and Melkite, two people who tend to enjoy disruption, thread-derailing, pot-stirring, and shit-posting (Melkite more than J Michael) are currently engaged in gas lighting Clare.

Would you two please stop this nonsense?
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to believe what you choose.  You're also entitled to be wrong.  In this case, you're wrong.  No one is gaslighting Clare.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me gaslighting implies conscious ill will.  Going out on a limb here, I'll speak for both myself and Melkite by saying neither of us has ill will towards her, nor the intention to make her doubt her perceptions and become misled, disoriented, or distressed-which is what gaslighting is.

People can debate and argue, even heatedly without gaslighting one another.  Clare drives me crazy at times, as I'm sure I drive her crazy at times, too.  All in all, however, I respect her and her faith.  That doesn't mean that I have to agree with her about everything and it doesn't mean I can't point out when/where I think she's mistaken.  And the same applies in reverse.
"I'm an old man now and have had a great many problems.  Most of them never happened."~ Mark Twain

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)
[-] The following 2 users Like J Michael's post:
  • Melkite, oldrover
(01-19-2022, 05:42 PM)Matas Wrote: So that's it.  Pride.  No one owes you an explanation.  And yes we are the sheep who follow His hand.

I also note that you tend to always want the last word.  You sow discord to satisfy your need to be right.  Can you please just knock it off?

If that's what you think, why do you even respond to me?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • J Michael
God will, however he is patient, not wanting any to lose themselves but wanting all to be saved.

Remember God has all of eternity to enact His justice, so he is in no rush . Image those who lived over 2000 years ago,
if any went to Hell they are still to this day continuing to suffer and after ALL this 2000 years , suffering has not even truly
started for them with no end on sight, how terrifying can that be ? Truly horrific.

If we feel such pitty for those who are incarcerated for 20 or 30 years what is that, compared to all of Eternity, not even a drop in an endless ocean.

We must change our perspective, making every effort to live up to the values of the Gospel, praying, assisting Mass when possible and safe to do so,
going to confession with full trust in God´s goodness, there the greatest miracles occur all of the time and there is no need for a 
long pilgrimage or additional requirements, all we need is boundless trust in the One who we know loves us above everyone and everything.

Remember His endless love surpasses everything.

That is truly confortable and bring peace to your Heart even when things do not always work out as you wish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catholic Fanatic's post:
  • HailGilbert