Time off from work
How do you guys deal with taking time off of work? Honestly, it exhausts me not to work. I had a three day weekend this week (Presidents Day is a State Holiday in CA) and often I'll use some of my hours to take the following day and have a four day weekend. That is now coming to a close and I feel awful. I ate like garbage, napped, didn't exercise as much as I usually do. When I'm doing my regular M-F, I'm more in control of my life and health. But give me a 96 hour break and I fall apart. Ugh.
I kind of agree.
This used to be me. I am a computer geek ir I wasn't working I was on the hamster wheel learning the latest cool language or trying to figure something out, chinese, thai or indian take menus at an arms reach.

I wish I had more words of wisdom other than cliches for you but try to sit back and enjoy life, your are not your work and their is more to life than work.

Not sure how old you guys are but after the trials and tribulations of life I enjoy time off. 

Have you tried a hobby like hiking or volunteering at a homeless shelter?
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
[-] The following 1 user Likes CaptCrunch73's post:
  • Billm1720
I used the day off to go to a park and sit quietly on the banks of a stream for a while, and then met a friend for ice cream. :)  It was a refreshing break from the 24/7 responsibilities of two jobs and two parishes.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steven's post:
  • Billm1720
I felt much the same after retiring from the Army, almost to the point of depression. The culture change and pace were hard to adapt to as well.

I tried to keep busy and find purpose by going to university, working a lot, and with cheap entertainment. After retiring for good, I went on a few adventures that filled the void for a while.

I've found that having a simple routine that includes prayer, some sort of learning, physical exercise, and keeping in touch with family does the trick for me. There is definitely a transition period, though.
[-] The following 2 users Like jack89's post:
  • Billm1720, Byzantine2022
Good to know I'm not alone. Luckily the next longer weekend I have is Easter, when I took off for Easter Monday. At least it's not four days!
When I was still working I HATED long weekends and vacations. In fact, when I was in retail, the company had a generous vacation policy, but it was 'use it or lose it'. One time my boss forced me to take a week off, and another time I was 'highly encouraged' to do so 'to save on payroll' (vacation pay wasn't a payroll expense). For me, tho, it was that I didn't want to go back to work after a lengthy break. A two day weekend was no problem but after that third day!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • karl
I used to like going on vacations before my conversions but now I can't stand them. I came back from an 8 day trip to see me sister get married and....NEVER again.
"If we do not supply the chains, who will chain the supplies?"

Karl Marx I PROMISE it will work this time Vol 3

"Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!"

A German...possibly
(02-23-2022, 11:23 AM)Steven Wrote: I used the day off to go to a park and sit quietly on the banks of a stream for a while, and then met a friend for ice cream. :)  It was a refreshing break from the 24/7 responsibilities of two jobs and two parishes.
Our weekends are very similar))) Much depends on how the work week goes. The character of a person is also very important. One likes to sit at the computer all day off, while the other wants to do something interesting, active, and extreme (although spending time at the computer can also be interesting, to learn something new for example). So personal preference comes first. Most of all I like walks in nature (in any weather).
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more
[-] The following 1 user Likes bettywnieves's post:
  • JKreger1111
I try to identify goals I want to accomplish with the time off. Whether it be spending time with the family or doing some house project. That keeps me focused on what I took the time off for originally. It can be difficult to switch from work routine to vacation routine.