Pipe smokers?
(01-11-2012, 11:06 AM)drummerboy Wrote: When using the match, when you inhale, be sure to inhale very gently while the flame is over the tobacco.  When you have a slight cherry glow in the tobacco, pull the match way and then give a really good inhale to get the bowl going.  Do that until you get the bowl going for good.  I've done it with cheap book matches, so its not so much the match as technique.

+1
Hey just ran across this thread today. I smoke a pipe very relaxing, and if you dont get a blend with latakia it makes the house smell nice. :pipe:
I find a pipe to be a fine companion. At present I'm down to five briars (two 'nellis and three Petes) but I'm fine with that--I think I've left my collecting credentials behind and now just enjoy what I have---four of them have been "friends" for ver 30 years. It takes time to get that sympatico with a pipe  :)
(01-25-2012, 11:43 PM)Hovannes Wrote: I find a pipe to be a fine companion. At present I'm down to five briars (two 'nellis and three Petes) but I'm fine with that--I think I've left my collecting credentials behind and now just enjoy what I have---four of them have been "friends" for ver 30 years. It takes time to get that sympatico with a pipe  :)

I know what you mean. I have 5 pipes but there is one an old peterson I always return to and smoke the most.
I've just taken the plunge and bought myself a Savinelli 112 and a tin of Ashton 'Guilty Pleasure'. So far so good, though keeping it lit is a little...tricky... (I want to enjoy this for more reasons than one - I hope to help ease my cigarette cravings with something more fun).
(09-13-2012, 06:36 AM)loggats Wrote: I've just taken the plunge and bought myself a Savinelli 112 and a tin of Ashton 'Guilty Pleasure'. So far so good, though keeping it lit is a little...tricky... (I want to enjoy this for more reasons than one - I hope to help ease my cigarette cravings with something more fun).

Yes keeping it lit is tricky when you just start out. The trick is to just get a rythem going. I take a puff about every 5 seconds. Be careful if you puff to fast you'll get tongue bite. Just practice you'll get the hang of it. I have never had guilty pleasure. My all time favorite aromatic tobacco is Cornel and Diehl's Autumn Evening. It's a delicious maple flavor. Mmmm....
I've decided that I might not be the biggest fan of aromatic blends. I ended up buying another pipe (Savinelli Qandale! perfectly Gandalfesque. I'm using the 112 as a 'on the go' pipe) and am smoking MacB's Navy Flake... that tobacco is amazing.
(09-17-2012, 03:31 PM)loggats Wrote: I've decided that I might not be the biggest fan of aromatic blends. I ended up buying another pipe (Savinelli Qandale! perfectly Gandalfesque. I'm using the 112 as a 'on the go' pipe) and am smoking MacB's Navy Flake... that tobacco is amazing.

Ahh  one of my favorite non aromatics is MacB's Dark twist. Also Westiminster by GL Pease is good for an English blend. FYI if you have never smoked an English blend do NOT smoke it when ladies are around. It tastes good but has a stench to it that would make the devil cry.
Friends and acquaintances, I would like today to give send a special thank you to ESpear, known to many as just Ellis, for his years of dedication to cultivating in many a young wonderers the joys of pipe smoking.  I’m not sure why, but yesterday I was thinking about my pipe beginnings as it were, and remembering how back in 2007 when first started smoking a pipe it was Ellis who stayed in regular contact with me to ensure I had a proper introduction into the hows and whys of pipe smoking.  Since then he has guided many more like myself and I believe there are many of us here who owe him a debt of gratitude.

To Ellis:  Yesterday in your honor I purchased a new Boswell pipe that should be arriving at my home by tomorrow.  It will be the second of my collection and only because you have introduced the Boswells to so many of us.

Gentlemen of the Briar, please join me in a hats off salute to our friend and mentor, Ellis (ESpear).

:tiphat: :salute:
(09-19-2012, 10:40 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 03:31 PM)loggats Wrote: I've decided that I might not be the biggest fan of aromatic blends. I ended up buying another pipe (Savinelli Qandale! perfectly Gandalfesque. I'm using the 112 as a 'on the go' pipe) and am smoking MacB's Navy Flake... that tobacco is amazing.

Ahh  one of my favorite non aromatics is MacB's Dark twist. Also Westiminster by GL Pease is good for an English blend. FYI if you have never smoked an English blend do NOT smoke it when ladies are around. It tastes good but has a stench to it that would make the devil cry.

Alas why so many of us are forced to smoke outside!  For those cool autumn nights have just opened tins of G.L. Pease's Charring Cross and Quiet Nights.  If you like Balkan/English blends, these are for you!