Homemade Baby Food
Thanks, Introibo! That's just what my husband has been saying. He comes from a large family, and he remembers his mother preparing one dinner for everyone, but then grinding small portions of each dish for his younger brothers and sisters.
My mom used one of these grinders (hers didn't have a carrying case), and would put whatever we were having for dinner - including meat - into it. She loved it!

[Image: baby-food-grinder.jpg]
Yup, that's the one....got it for $12 when my eldest (now 16 years old) was a baby and it's still going strong after having served 8 kids!

Christina
introibo Wrote:Yup, that's the one....got it for $12 when my eldest (now 16 years old) was a baby and it's still going strong after having served 8 kids!

Christina

Wow! And I was just going to ask if it is worth it to buy a more expensive stainless steel food mill? I guess not...
Thanks for the picture, JLeigh!
For those who have used this, is it easy to clean (without a dishwasher)? I haven't used my blender much for baby food as it takes 5 times as long to clean it as it does to blend the food. I like how portable this looks and if it really only costs $12 I think I'll be owning one soon. :)
Wow! I don't even have a baby and I want one! :) My mom still has her old manual stainless steel grinder. That thing has to be at least 50 years old! Does this little one suction to the counter?
-Robin 
Nemo Wrote:Thanks for the picture, JLeigh!
For those who have used this, is it easy to clean (without a dishwasher)? I haven't used my blender much for baby food as it takes 5 times as long to clean it as it does to blend the food. I like how portable this looks and if it really only costs $12 I think I'll be owning one soon. :)

Yes, it is very easy to clean. It is in three pieces, the main part you see, the grinding mechanism, and a shaft that goes inside the main part. They come apart and all it needs is a good swishing and scrubbing. You have to make sure the grinding mechanism doesn't have any food caught in it. But overall it's easy.
Christina
catheotimus Wrote:Wow! I don't even have a baby and I want one! :) My mom still has her old manual stainless steel grinder. That thing has to be at least 50 years old! Does this little one suction to the counter?
-Robin 

No suction, unless there is on the newer models. You really don't need it. When I'm grinding something especially tough, I have one of the kids hold it down while I grind.

Christina