My Supper Last Night - Solar Baguette
For supper last night, I had leftover mac'n'cheese, which was so bland that I put some spaghetti sauce on it, with a piece of baguette.

So why am I posting about such a boring supper? Because the baguette was baked in a solar oven!

The wife loves camping. I did, too, until my COPD reached the point that I can no longer tramp the woods easily and the pollens and moulds interfere with my breathing. So, now she goes camping and I stay home and take care of the dog (and the blog!). But, anyway, she has a van, all tricked out as a camper. She already has an oven that sits on top of the burners of her camp stove, but in order to save on propane costs, she recently bought a solar oven.

It's a fascinating device. It consists of a long metal 'trough' that goes inside an optical glass tube. That entire assembly sits at the focal point of a parabolic mirror to focus the sun's rays.

It works quite well. It baked delicious bread and earlier today she baked an apple in it. She has little silicone cups that fit in the trough for things that needed to be kept together. She's going to experiment with cooking beans when the sun comes out again, which of course, highlights its major drawback. You can't cook at night or if it's cloudy.

Here's a pic of the bread (after I'd torn off the end. LOL!)

[Image: zzx-filler2.jpg]
And here is the apple in the little silicone cups, with the end of the tube.
[Image: zzx-filler2.jpg]
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Billm1720, JacafamalaRedux, Sacred Heart of Jesus
I've never heard of a "solar oven" but sounds neat. Husband and I are off-grid so can relate with the cloudy days being a bummer. It also snows alot in the winter so we rely on a gasoline-powered generator. I use a propane stove inside our little house. We're still having some issues containing the solar power since it's not being stored properly in the lead-acid batteries and the capacity is already diminishing. 

But a solar cooker sounds cool, I saw that you can also do a DIY one as well.
(03-26-2022, 05:10 PM)tamara_great Wrote: I've never heard of a "solar oven" but sounds neat. Husband and I are off-grid so can relate with the cloudy days being a bummer. It also snows alot in the winter so we rely on a gasoline-powered generator. I use a propane stove inside our little house. We're still having some issues containing the solar power since it's not being stored properly in the lead-acid batteries and the capacity is already diminishing. 

She also has a rechargeable battery pack and solar panels she puts on the roof of the van to recharge it. 

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
I love mac n’cheese! I don’t know the recipe we use off the top of my head, but I think it is basically milk and block of cheese. We mix everything into the cooked pasta. I have heard of some people who bake it together. We have thought about trying that but haven’t done it yet.

I love the outdoors too. I have asthma and seasonal allergies. Thankfully, they are pretty mild. I have to be careful, especially when mold is around. Definitely monitor yourself. I also am allergic to cats and horses. I love both animals. I will admit, it would be more feasible to have a cat than a horse though! My allergies just can’t handle it. I used to see the stray cats that my neighbor used to feed. My dog even got to met them a few times.
(03-28-2022, 09:57 PM)Billm1720 Wrote: I love mac n’cheese! I don’t know the recipe we use off the top of my head, but I think it is basically milk and block of cheese. We mix everything into the cooked pasta. I have heard of some people who bake it together. We have thought about trying that but haven’t done it yet.

The only time mac'n'cheese isn't baked in our house is if it's KD out of a box. My Mum always baked it, too, tho' it was the only thing she totally sucked at cooking. For years, I thought I hated mac'n'cheese because I was only familiar with hers. The Cuter and Shorter Half's is normally delicious, but she skimped on the cheese this time. I finished it off tonight, without the sauce, but with some oil, lots of spices, and fresh ground pepper.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(03-26-2022, 05:10 PM)tamara_great Wrote: I've never heard of a "solar oven" but sounds neat. Husband and I are off-grid so can relate with the cloudy days being a bummer. It also snows alot in the winter so we rely on a gasoline-powered generator. I use a propane stove inside our little house. We're still having some issues containing the solar power since it's not being stored properly in the lead-acid batteries and the capacity is already diminishing. 

If the power's out and there's no sun, a rocket stove is another option. Here's mine. In all honesty I haven't used it, but I bought it for such emergencies as a back up. You can also make a rocket stove rather cheaply if you don't want to shell out the money.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • tamara_great
Jovan, would you please take a full size picture of your solar oven? It looks different (smaller) than the models I've seen. Even just share a link if you can.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(03-29-2022, 06:57 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Jovan, would you please take a full size picture of your solar oven? It looks different (smaller) than the models I've seen. Even just share a link if you can.
It's probably about two feet long. I don't have a working phone right now and my tablet only takes selfies so I can't see what I'm taking a picture of. Here's a link to it, but I've never seen a worse website selling things. I THINK this is the same model she bought. She cooked some black beans in it a day or so ago. Beans, of course, take a while to cook, but it worked quite well.

https://gosun.co/products/Sport

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(03-29-2022, 08:52 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 06:57 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Jovan, would you please take a full size picture of your solar oven? It looks different (smaller) than the models I've seen. Even just share a link if you can.
It's probably about two feet long. I don't have a working phone right now and my tablet only takes selfies so I can't see what I'm taking a picture of. Here's a link to it, but I've never seen a worse website selling things. I THINK this is the same model she bought. She cooked some black beans in it a day or so ago. Beans, of course, take a while to cook, but it worked quite well.

https://gosun.co/products/Sport

Pretty cool. I have this el-cheep-o model. Never used it, either. I just had this period about five years back after reading Lights Out by Ted Koppel. That was when I realised that the power grid could be very easily taken out. Turned me into yer garden variety type of prepper.

It was a very hot day and the kids were impatiently waiting for their evening snacks. I decided to make a cool snack to beat the heat and also to have something healthy to go with dinner. So, I decided to make a Solar baguette. To my surprise, it came out very well. I think it is a good alternative to store-bought sandwiches as it is easy to make, tasty and healthy.