Does Catholicism ever feel like a chore to you?
choosetowitness Wrote:Indeed I believe it is because I’m a cradle Catholic who didn’t find a footing for so long.

Not that it’s related but when I did “find the faith” I had no idea there was a trad/modern split. What brought me back was the idea of Apostolic Succession being impossible to deny. And then I find myself in a time period (and a trad parish of damn near heretics) with distaste for the Holy Father.

There have been bad Popes before... and remember all the bad kings the Jews had! I understand some of your latter sentiment... that would be trying for me as well... we are blessed to be in a parish with both a TLM and a reverent NO, in which we attend both about 50-50.
I'm a convert as you know. I realised that the 'convert's zeal' had worn off one Sunday morning when it was all I could do to force myself to go to Mass. I remember trudging along, trying to think of reasons not to go. I went.

In the ensuing 40+ years, there have been many ups and downs. Now, tho', even when I'm down, I keep praying and going to Mass even if I don't 'feel' like it.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 5 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Billm1720, Fionnchu, Florus, HailGilbert, J Michael
It gets better when you don't have the high off of it anymore. That's when the faith starts seeping into your soul and you begin to know it'll always be there no matter how you feel.
[-] The following 8 users Like Florus's post:
  • Billm1720, Catherine, choosetowitness, crosslife, Fionnchu, Galahad3, J Michael, jack89
Every day is a blessing, every day is a struggle.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 2 users Like The Tax Collector's post:
  • Byzantine2022, choosetowitness
I'm with oldrover on this one. I look forward to mass and always feel better after praying my daily rosary. I'm so thankful that I found my way back to the Church. I returned to the Church when I was around 51 years old, about 6 years ago.

There have been a few rare low points, but that's just because I was distracted and my head wasn't strait. Staying the course and sticking to the precepts of the Church as a minimum gets me straight soon enough.
[-] The following 4 users Like jack89's post:
  • choosetowitness, J Michael, Matas, oldrover
(05-11-2022, 11:52 AM)choosetowitness Wrote: Because sometimes it does for me. Since my reversion four years ago, there’s definitely been ups and downs and my zeal and focus. Right now, I’m definitely not at a peak. Makes me averse to do things that my conscience says I should. I try to recall that “action taken in times of spiritual dryness have merit”, but that too is a struggle.

Practicing the Faith doesn't seem like a chore to me, but there are ups and downs, for sure. There are moments of real struggle in the practice of virtue, but what's helpful in these moments is remembering who we are and who God is. Short prayer is essential. "O God come to my assistance, O Lord make haste to help me!" "Holy Mother of God, pray for me."  It's also helpful during those moments to occupy yourself in charitable works.
"To draw near to Jesus we must be so little." -St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face
[-] The following 3 users Like Catherine12's post:
  • Byzantine2022, choosetowitness, Grandma
NEVER ! But that doesn't mean I don't constantly struggle to try and live out my faith, and have to fight mightily against the tidal pull of sin.  The more involved I am in church, the less likely I'am to go astray.
No, never.
[-] The following 1 user Likes archangel michael's post:
  • Eric F