Found on Vox's Twitter Feed
(05-15-2022, 09:21 AM)Galahad3 Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 12:16 AM)Filiolus Wrote:
(05-13-2022, 11:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Every time she said, 'I know the text says x, but modern scholars say y', a warning light would go on in my head.

This is a very common problem in classics, and not just for the historians. The linguists, poets, and philosophers all have the same warped views.

Yup. I studied literature and philosophy in college. I was pretty liberal and secular at the time, but even I had to scratch my head a few times when professors tortured some "hidden meaning" out of the text. This was around fifteen years ago, too. Rather not think too much about how much worse it has surely become since then.
My experience was 30 years ago, so it's nothing new. However, in my time, there were still conservatives teaching at university level without calls for their 'cancellation'. Universities were still thought of, for the most part, as a forum for free and open discussion.

There was one exception, of course, and that was Catholicism. I attended the University of Kansas, which became well known for its Pearson Humanities Program, taught by three devout, conservative Catholics who believed (gasp!) that there is an objective truth and that it can be taught. That was beyond the pale! They were accused of 'baptising them in the halls'. I was in the program and I never heard a single word about conversion to the Faith.

The program was a voluntary one, limited to sophomores or above. At the same time, the University required all freshmen to take 'Western Civ', a program with a definite leftist, atheist, and secular humanist slant. Many of the instructors were out and out Marxists and those who weren't were, for the most part, liberal atheists or agnostics.

What was actually happening was that typical 19-year-olds, the product of public schools and middle-class (usually not very devout) protestant homes were being fed a diet of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful and they were hooked! Some of the converts ended up becoming monks at Our Lady of the Assumption Abbey in Fontgombault, France. They were amongst the monks who founded Our Lady of Clear Creek in Oklahoma.

At any rate, the controversy became national news with pro and con articles in reviews like The National Review and The Progressive. The left finally managed to destroy the program, as a separate program, but the professors were allowed to continue teaching. Now, of course, they would be 'cancelled' and hounded out of academia.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Oh and I forgot to mention that at least one of those converts became a Bishop, His Excellency James Douglas Conley, Bishop of the Diocese of Lincoln! Thank God he's my Bishop. We may be the only two University of Kansas fans in the entire Diocese! I always wear my KU Jayhawk hoody (weather permitting) if he's coming to St Wenceslaus. He was last here the week that our boys won the NCAA tournament. He told me he'd had confirmations during the game, but he'd recorded it and told everybody not to tell him who won! We were both pretty pleased!

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(05-15-2022, 01:32 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-14-2022, 06:47 AM)Marmot Wrote: Putin, that would be great.

I pray for his and all of Russia's conversion as well as the conversion of Zelenskii and all of Ukraine every day.
I see Ukrainian people as a more morally superior nation ATM as they have not become as secularized as Russia, where most do not attend Church regularly...so I support them. I know that the Ukrainian government is NOT democratic...but I am not really one for Democracy or elections. Honestly...if the next election is rigged as is strongly pointed by Dinesh D'souza...I am done with elections in general. I will go with expectation, that my vote has no impact. I no longer know what government to believe in. I used to fascist. But I believe no matter what...people will screw it up regardless. I am jaded at this point.
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner"
(05-15-2022, 10:06 PM)Anon777 Wrote: I see Ukrainian people as a more morally superior nation .../snip/

Whether they're morally superior or not, I support Ukraine because I'm an Eastern Catholic. I know what lies in store for the Ukrainian and Ruthenian Catholic Churches in Ukraine if the Russians take over. The same thing has happened every time the Russians have controlled the area whether it was under the Tsars or the Reds. The Eastern Catholic Churches will be persecuted, they will be outlawed, and there will be attempts at forcing them to 'unite' with the Orthodox to cleanse the stain of 'Uniatism'.

I also feel sorry for all the Orthodox who have split from the Moscow Patriarchate and those who were still subject to Putin's stooge, Kyrill, but who opposed the war. Their lot will not be much better than the Eastern Catholics'.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe