Catholic Work Ethic Vs. Protestant Work Ethic
Here is a question for those more learned of this than I am. If I asked this before, it's been a long while and I need my memory refreshed.

What is the difference between the "Protestant Work Ethic", which American society operated under since it's inception, and the "Catholic Work Ethic" which was replaced long ago?

I ask this since most folks, including most Catholics, have no idea what both of them are. Nor do they know why we should favor and practice the Catholic Work Ethic over the Protestant one.

Nor do they know the Calvinist roots of the Protestant Work Ethic - - that is, if I'm not remembering it wrong.

Hopefully this can be put in an a-b-c style fashion due to the reduced comprehension skills so many Americans and others suffer under.

I would see this as an exercise of one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy - - "instructing the ignorant". That includes myself. I'm not exempting myself at all from this, which is why I'm asking this.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton
[-] The following 1 user Likes HailGilbert's post:
  • arnaud
The protestant work ethic is a model of historical analysis proposed by max weber. I dont know if any protestant,themselves,advocate for it.
In my own opinion calvinism should make people lazy. if one is saved no matter what,why bother working hard?
I learned from the SSPX that Catholics should fulfill their duties of state.  This is a broader concept, but includes work.
"If you love me, keep my commandments."  John 14:15.

"For you have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin."  Hebrews 12:4.

Just because I let you have the last word does not mean that I concede your point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iconodule's post:
  • Byzantine2022
The need to toil in order to survive is a punishment of the Fall, something we need to accept with dignity but it's not really meant to be celebrated in and of itself. Rather, we do our work so that we are able to do what we are really designed for: charity, recreation, creativity, music, art, philosophy, etc. Of course these may all entail "work" as well, but it's distinguished from that work we must do to feed and shelter ourselves and those for whom we are responsible.
[-] The following 2 users Like Galahad3's post:
  • Byzantine2022, neanderthal-slayer
I’m just going to throw this out there…

The “Protestant Work Ethic” attributes to hard labor and frugality what is as much the product of unrestrained profiteering. The Catholic Church had long had strong opposition to the use of interest and promoted the creation of real wealth over token wealth, often in an agrarian context. Contrast this with the rise of global trading efforts and industrialization of England, who became stupendously rich and exported this system to the world. In some sense, the “Protestant Work Ethic” may be nothing more that simply an alternative name for globalism. 

This may all be wrong and there  are a lot of assumptions. Please discuss.
It's a myth.

The Industrial Revolution didn't arise in "the Protestant countries", but in one, England, which was coincidentally the least Protestant, the most similar in religion to Catholicism. And that revolution was imitated first of all by Catholic Belgium, while Calvinist Holland lagged behind a long time. Not to mention the Scandinavian countries, so typically Protestant and that didn't begin to raise their heads until well into the 19th century. Catholic France also joined the industrial revolution to a great extent, and so did northern Italy under the yoke, also Catholic, of Austria. As for Germany, it developed a large industry in the Rhineland, mostly Catholic, while Protestant Prussia remained for a long time agrarian and with feudal structures. The "Protestant work ethic" thesis doesn't explain this.

And "the rise of global trading efforts", it started with Portugal and Spain in the 16th century. The defenders of the "Protestant work ethic" could also explain to us why Spain was the first world power during the 16th century and part of the 17th. Did big cities build themselves? The fleets that discovered the world and for the first time in history communicated and established commercial ties between all the continents were built and led by lazies? Did the conquistadors conquer and evangelize America by napping all day?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Drolo's post:
  • choosetowitness
The biggest consideration in History is Satan's unrelenting effort to destroy Christ's Church. Just because something exists in a Catholic country does not mean it is Catholic. Has there has ever been a Pope in favor of industrialization? 

++++++++++++++

So what's the difference between Protestant work ethic and the Catholic work ethic? 

It boils down to one thing--

Johnny-on-the-spot verses mañana
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
wait england's religion is similar to catholicism? I thought they created a radical church which opposed any authority or learned preaching(meaning each person just read Bible and thinks what he wants).
(05-14-2022, 01:01 PM)Blind Horus Wrote: (snip) Has there has ever been a Pope in favor of industrialization? 

(snip)
No idea. But to my knowledge no Pope condemned it.
(05-14-2022, 01:34 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: wait england's religion is similar to catholicism? I thought they created a radical church which opposed any authority or learned preaching(meaning each person just read Bible and thinks what he wants).
What I meant to say is that Anglicanism is the least distant Protestant's branch from Catholicism among Protestants. Obviously they are still Protestant. But its system is the one that bears the closest resemblance to Catholicism, in fact many people consider Anglicanism a kind of "Middle Way" between both religions.

However, England is the origin of the Industrial Revolution, while Calvinist Holland (remember that Calvinism is the best example of the Protestant Work Ethic according to Weber) was backward. Behind Belgium, North Italy or the France of the Monarchical Catholic Restoration after Napoleon.