When is pride mortal and when is it venial?
Pride is a vice that I struggle with a lot, and it is also one that I understand the least. I don't understand what kind of pride constitutes mortal sin and what is venial. Can someone give examples of things that would be mortal pride and things that would be venial pride?
First, you have to define pride properly.

Pride is selfishness.

Pride is "non serviam."

Pride is also a Capital Sin.

Pride is the #1 Capital Sin, the Queen who sits on the throne. Flushing loudly.

Since pride is selfishness, then we are not allowed to be selfish.

This means we cannot have a self.

One has to be more like Jesus and less like oneself.

He must increase and we must decrease.

One no longer lives, but Christ lives in them.

So the self is evil.
--BobCatholic 
[-] The following 1 user Likes BobCatholic's post:
  • Whitey
(05-15-2022, 11:11 AM)Gumdrop Wrote: Pride is a vice that I struggle with a lot, and it is also one that I understand the least. I don't understand what kind of pride constitutes mortal sin and what is venial. Can someone give examples of things that would be mortal pride and things that would be venial pride?
The best option would be to speak with a confessor.

You don't give a lot of details, but remember that a mortal sin involves full and deliberate consent. Also, if a thought comes into your head and you actively fight it, then you aren't even venially sinning- you are fighting temptation. You can ask your confessor about this too.

I don't think I will be able to provide very helpful examples, but here goes a try:

Venial sin- You are into working out and check your bicep progress-totally fine. However, you kind of do it too much, maybe even with some anxiety you aren't looking "good" enough. This could be a venial sin of pride and vanity. As you try to be more grateful for what you have, as you pray for humility, and as you make an effort not to do this, you get this under control.

Mortal sin- Someone is supposed to go to Church, but they are so in love with themselves that they go to the beach to show off and flex. They consciously decide that the self is so good in itself and worthy of glory that they don't need Mass. Another example could be someone who has an achievement, maybe graduates school, and then thinks himself superior to everyone else, even belittling hard-workers who don't have his level of education. Someone who drives a fancy car and looks down on those with less expensive cars and makes fun of them deliberately is another example.

These examples are really general and I am not trained in moral theology or spiritual direction. I would ask your priest for more guidance. Also, pray for humility, especially the Litany of Humility. The Fish Eaters Conversion of Heart and moral theology pages can help too.

God bless
(05-15-2022, 05:21 PM)BobCatholic Wrote: First, you have to define pride properly.

Pride is selfishness.

Pride is "non serviam."

Pride is also a Capital Sin.

Pride is the #1 Capital Sin, the Queen who sits on the throne.  Flushing loudly.

Since pride is selfishness, then  we are not allowed to be selfish.

This means we cannot have a self. 

One has to be more like Jesus and less like oneself.

He must increase and we must decrease.

One no longer lives, but Christ lives in them.

So the self is evil.
That really is the measuring stick of sorts.

One can't strive to be virtuous without accepting what you posted there. And thanks, I needed to hear it !