Grace as a created quality
I have difficulty with the Catholic teaching that grace is a created quality of the soul. The Orthodox teaching seems much more intuitive -- that grace is the uncreated energy of God.

Is the Orthodox teaching on grace as the uncreated energies of God also the Eastern Catholic teaching? Is it permitted for a Latin Catholic to hold it?

I am not denying the Catholic teaching on grace as a created quality. It just doesn't make sense to me. It seems kind of cold, as if God never touches us directly.
If I let you have the last word, it does not mean that I concede your point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Iconodule's post:
  • Byzantine2022, MacPasquale
The way I look at it, God is Uncreated Grace, and "created" graces are the actions of God the Uncreated Grace taking place in time and space. So the Energies create an effect in the soul that is God acting upon it without mediation.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe St. Gregory Palamas is actually on the Byzantine Catholic calendar.
A bit off topic, but I realized something: if everything is upheld by the Energies, then by my aforementioned reckoning of things, EVERYTHING is a created grace. Including all things good about you, me, and everything else; everything is totally gratuitous, unmerited, and -- without mediation -- dependent on God's love and favor. Which leaves no room for pride, of course for, if a person's every strength, talent, gift, and aptitude is a grace in and of itself, well... you can't brag about a gift as if you had not received it. But it also means there's no room for false humility and pusillanimity either, for to act as though you don't have a strength that you really do would be to spit on a gift given you from God Himself. It's a tightrope walk between the two, but virtues tend to lie in the via media, not in extremes. I had this dawn on me while thinking about how what I said in my post about victim soul spirituality overlaps with what I said here earlier today. I can't lie and say oh pitiful little me I've never been through anything that bad or had any true spiritual experience how could I ever claim such a thing... but neither can I go buckwild and act like I somehow I'm better and stronger and more favored because I, in and of myself, am special and earned it by being so awesome.

By the way, I really do apologize for my part in the tiff we had in my other thread, Iconodule. I was hypomanic this morning without realizing it and I am very sensitive to invalidation, but it was haughty of me to rail against you like I did. I misjudged you as some jerk who knew nothing about mental illness, when the whole time you have issues yourself with a mood disorder. Once again, I ask of you, pray for me. I'm autistic and I get stuck on my own self and ego constantly like I'm stuck trapped inside my head making everything about myself. I care about other people, but at the same time I lack adequate theory of mind and social skills, despite being high-functioning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes anthonyagony's post:
  • Iconodule
(05-17-2022, 02:38 PM)anthonyagony Wrote: If it makes you feel any better, I believe St. Gregory Palamas is actually on the Byzantine Catholic calendar.

He's on the Melkite and Ukrainian Calendars on the Second Sunday of Great Lent. I don't know about the others.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • anthonyagony, Byzantine2022
anthonysgony Wrote:By the way, I really do apologize for my part in the tiff we had in my other thread, Iconodule.

No problem.  I was a little harsh.  I take your condition seriously.  I will offer my rosary for you tomorrow.
If I let you have the last word, it does not mean that I concede your point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iconodule's post:
  • anthonyagony
(05-17-2022, 11:58 PM)Iconodule Wrote:
anthonysgony Wrote:By the way, I really do apologize for my part in the tiff we had in my other thread, Iconodule.

No problem.  I was a little harsh.  I take your condition seriously.  I will offer my rosary for you tomorrow.
I appreciate that. I suck at the rosary (can't concentrate) but I do offer Divine Mercy Chaplets on the regular. The meditation on the mysteries is hard on my mind. I'll pray one for you, and try to remember you at 3pm here. You're free to PM me if you have any specific intentions. Let's not clog up the main forum with irregular references to other meetings we've had on this board.