St Michael the Archangel Relic Stones
“Blessed sacramentals” are religious objects that are blessed, such as rosaries, medals, crucifixes, etc. These are not technically “sacred objects” in the sense of being set apart for “divine worship” (liturgy) but are meant for prayer, piety, or private devotions. In the July 12, 1847, Decree of the then-Sacred Congregation of Indulgences & Sacred Relics, the Congregation explicitly prohibited the selling of rosaries and crucifixes. It added that, if sold, these lose the blessings and indulgences attached to them. Similarly, the Raccolta (1910) repeats this prohibition stating “they cannot be sold or exchanged” (Raccolta, #38). Interestingly, this prohibition is not repeated in the current Manual on Indulgences, which only states that the indulgence attached to an article of devotion ceases if it is destroyed or sold (Manual on Indulgences, N16 §2). This has raised questions as to whether the prohibition is still in force.

Regardless of whether the prohibition against selling blessed sacramental objects is in force, it is clear that their sale is to be avoided. This is because if the blessed sacramental is presented in some way as more unique or valuable because it carries a blessing or a blessing from a certain person (e.g., “This rosary was blessed by the Pope!”), it would technically fall under simony since the spiritual reality is being advertised as making it more worthy to be paid for. In addition, even if it is sold or auctioned, it loses its blessing upon the sale and the person receives an unblessed object.

Answered by Benedict Nguyen
Chancellor, Diocese of Corpus Christi, TX

Well now, I must admit I have to take this up with a priest. It would appear that alot more is prohibited/simony than I previously thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesius's post:
  • jovan66102