I don’t understand the five ways
(06-24-2022, 12:01 AM)Filiolus Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 10:58 PM)AlNg777 Wrote: And what caused you to like strawberry? by the principle of sufficient cause there must be a cause for every contingent event? since there was a cause why you like strawberry and no other flavor,  this choice had to be made, i.e., you did not have a free choice.

No, that doesn't follow. Of course there's a reason you like strawberry more than chocolate. That reason might be sentimental, nostalgic, cultural, or even biological. But that doesn't mean that you didn't freely choose to order that item. A choice need not (in fact, cannot) be free from outside influence in order to be free. But those influences are not determining. I think this is the issue; you are conflating determining factors with causal ones.

I might suggest reading Question 83 of the Summa.

Quote:Or are there events in the contingent universe which are uncaused?

No.
It is going to depend on how you define causality.
(06-24-2022, 09:20 AM)AlNg777 Wrote: It is going to depend on how you define causality.

Well, all conversations depend on the definitions of words, but, especially in philosophy, those definitions are not arbitrary. So in a sense, it doesn't depend on how "you" define causality; rather, it depends on whether you understand what causality is.

A quick summary of what Aristotle (and St. Thomas) taught is that there are four kinds of causes:

Material - the matter of the thing (flesh and bones)
Formal - the form of the thing (the soul, which give the flesh and bones its humanity)
Efficient/Agent - the "maker" of the thing (one's parents)
Final - the purpose for which a thing came to be (to be happy)

These kinds of causation do not always impart necessity, though they are each necessary for the existence of any particular thing (substance). You can't have a human being without each of the causes listed above.

These causes are also necessary, in an analogous way, for the existence of any accident (such as a free choice of the will). For example, every choice is caused by some purpose. If I choose to eat ice cream, it is because I want to cool down or to have something sweet. You see, our very language betrays that causation is what is happening.

But anyway, no, there is no uncaused natural thing. This is basic Thomistic natural philosophy.
amare nesciri
[-] The following 3 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • Anon777, Genesius, jovan66102
If people want a more detailed treatment of the 5 ways Does God Exist? A Socratic Dialogue on the Five Ways of Thomas Aquinas Matt Fradd & Robert A. Delfino. Mind you i'm endorsing the book not the authors.
[-] The following 2 users Like Genesius's post:
  • Filiolus, jovan66102