What Schizophrenia Does
This is fascinatingly disturbing...  from http://www.schizophrenia.org/artist.html
-Robin

[Image: smallhuxtitle.gif]

What Schizophrenia Does
A 20th-century artist, Louis Wain, who was fascinated by cats, painted these pictures over a period of time in which he developed schizophrenia. The pictures mark progressive stages in the illness and exemplify what it does to the victim's perception.
[Image: cat.jpg]
(All pictures from Guttman-MacClay Collection, Institute of Psychiatry London. Used with permission.)
Return to main page
Yes, and if one could live inside a schizophrenic's head, one would find the same distortions on an auditory level. Life becomes a jumble of voices, some funny, some cruel, some menacing. They come through the tv and the radio too. It never stops - what an exhausting life.

I'm not talking from personal experience, I've worked with schizophrenics for twelve years. They have my pity and my prayers.
To My Wife:
Before you wish, or pray, for all my "leisure time" instead of your busy life, you might want to think again.  I'm not chiding you; just some information.  God, no doubt gives us each a cross to bear.  Your's is a very busy and worry-filled life, but I am convinced that you over-extend yourself a lot.  You can't seem to say "No" and your "work ethic" is a terrible burden.  I know.  I've been there.  But now my cross is to be locked up alone with my own demons.  Sure, I don't have it so bad physically, but you would NEVER want my dreams or to live in my head!  I suffer with schizo-affective and bi-polar psychoses, along with a lot of more-or-less useless information ("book-larnin' ") and feel empty and hopeless about life generally most of the time---certainly NOT because I want to!  My medications are only very barely helping.  My own demons are here with me all the time, too, and that's why I am trying to live a good, Catholic life now.  This is NOT leisure time.  It is hell time most of the time.  Never wish, or pray, for God to give you mine, or anyone else's life.  He just might answer that prayer!  Pray that He gives you grace for today.  That's all I have.  I love you.
dismas Wrote:Yes, and if one could live inside a schizophrenic's head, one would find the same distortions on an auditory level. Life becomes a jumble of voices, some funny, some cruel, some menacing. They come through the tv and the radio too. It never stops - what an exhausting life.

I'm not talking from personal experience, I've worked with schizophrenics for twelve years. They have my pity and my prayers.

There are studies that demonstrate advantages of smoking in medical conditions, including psychological illness. Epidemiologists have validated what many mental health practitioners have long noticed: The smoking rate among people with schizophrenia, depression and anxiety disorders is far higher than average. It is widely believed that people with certain mental health problems are self-medicating with [tobacco] because the nicotine helps their minds function better

that's right, smoking is a form of medication, particularly for schizophrenics. Don't know many of them that don't smoke.
http://www.ptypes.com/index.html

Good site for figuring things out if you have mental health problems.  On my Profile I list my own type of problems and personality.  Look it up and click on it if you are interested.  This is from a Christian (Catholic?) viewpoint, too.
http://www.abeautifulmind.com/main.html

Liza_Do_A_Lot Wrote:http://www.abeautifulmind.com/main.html

An excellent movie even though it was not a factual account of John Nash's life or illness. Russell Crowe was superb, as usual.

Something not often mentioned is how schizophrenia (and other mental illnesses) affect one's religious perceptions. They can become very distorted. I knew a guy, a Catholic, who heard voices telling him if he stopped praying the rosary his whole family would go to hell, or the world would end. He would stay up all night on his knees praying, terrified to stop.