Fish Recipes
Hmmm...let's see now. I've just become aware of the fact that only 2 men have posted so far. Out of those two, one offered a recipe, the other offered to test the results. [Image: eatdrink053.gif]

Men! Where are thy recipes?!
Simply Superb Salmon

approx 1 lb Salmon Filet
1 lemon
2tsp olive oil
Dill to taste (fresh is best)
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Cut lemon in half, crossways, and cut off a thin slice from each half, set aside for garnish.  Take one end of the lemon and squeeze all the juice out into a shallow marinating bowl.  Stir olive oil, dill, salt and pepper to lemon juice.  Make sure the scales are removed from the skin side of the salmon, but leave the skin on!  Place Salmon filet in the mixture and make sure it's well covered.  Let marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes, or marinate in fridge for half a day.  If Salmon is marinated in the fridge, take it out and let it come to room temp for an hour before cooking.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place Salmon filet on a greased casserole dish skin side down. Sprinkle some more dill and maybe pepper on the filet and place lemon slices on top as a garnish.  Cover dish with aluminum foil.  Bake for 15 min, remove aluminum foil, and bake another 5 minutes.  Cut up the remaining lemon and serve with the fish to add as-you-like.  You can easily double, triple or quadruple this recipe, just make sure each filet of salmon is cut into 1 lb or 1.5 lb size, no bigger or it will change the cooking time.

I usually serve this with my sauteed spinach cranberry side (which is just fresh spinach, sauteed very lightly with dried cranberries cooked in butter), or asparagus sauteed in butter.

JLeigh Wrote:

Hmmm...let's see now. I've just become aware of the fact that only 2 men have posted so far. Out of those two, one offered a recipe, the other offered to test the results. [Image: eatdrink053.gif]

Men! Where are thy recipes?!

Yeah! Mr. Mike Searson! Where arrrrrree youuuuuuuu????
Spooky7272 Wrote:Yeah! Mr. Mike Searson! Where arrrrrree youuuuuuuu????

Knowing Mike he just bites off the head, spits it out, and swallows the rest whole.  [Image: wink.gif]

Now I have a taste for sardines and smelt...

Smoked fish is nice, too.  I have a smoker and while I don't fish, I buy fresh fish and smoke it.  I used to get smoked chubb all the time in Chicago.

Thanks, Miss Fluffy!
Now I definitely have to add salmon to my grocery list this week. [Image: smile.gif]
Here are a couple of posts I made recently on my 1healthyboomer forum (currently down for re-vamp). Philomena, I think you would like this very much...very savory sauce that you can customise to your taste. Perhaps you saw it; I did refer to it on another thread recently, but just in case, here's the recipe and the following post I made concerning what type of salmon to get:

Since I learned how wonderfully healthy salmon is--full of those great omega-3 essential fats--and suprised myself by actually liking it (!!), I've been trying different ways to prepare it. I found this recipe on-line and made it tonight for dinner. It was fabulous!!! I hope you'll like it too! (And remember when buying salmon, always look for "wild-caught" NOT "farm-raised"! It'll say right there on the package or fish-market sign.)
From Recipe Zaar :

Salmon with Tomatoes

1 1/2 lbs salmon steaks
4 TBSP oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (19 oz.) can tomatoes
4 TBSP chopped parsley
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

1. In a medium frying pan, heat oil and saute onions, garlic & peppers over medium heat for about 10 min.

2. Add remaining ingredients (except fish), bring to a boil, then lower heat & simmer for 5 min.

3. Place the fish into a greased medium sized casserole dish.

4. Pour the tomato mixture over the fish & bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350° oven for 30 min.

*note from Robin: I used salmon fillets, extra-virgin olive oil, only one onion and one garlic, substited 2 cans regular Ro-Tel tomatoes and omitted the hot pepper. I tossed in one small spoonful of hot salsa. It appears to be quite a forgiving recipe and we just loved it! We had it over brown rice with a side of mixed veggies.  [Image: DukeGirl.gif]

So, perhaps some of you are wondering why I recommended purchasing wild-caught salmon rather than farm-raised. You can easily plug this into your search engine and get a very large number of hits, and I suggest you do just that and peruse the info you come up with.

I had no idea there was even a difference until one of the doctors I've seen recently told me about it. In addition to the info about the high concentration of contaminants found in these farm-raised fishies, this doc told me of some really disgusting practices used to "catch" the salmon...they're apparently often not "caught" at all, but skimmed quite dead off the water-body floor. In my search, I haven't yet found this particular nauseating bit of information, so I don't know how accurate it is, but the high contamination levels alone are enough to make wild-caught salmon your healthy choice.

Here's one very good summary (full study also available there) to read about Wild-Caught vs. Farm-Raised Salmon .

-Robin

Thanks, Robin! especially for the tip on buying wild-caught salmon. I would have thought that the farm-raised would contain fewer contaminants.
Excerpt from the study I posted above:

Quote:
The large difference in farmed and wild salmon contaminant concentrations is likely due to diet. While wild salmon eat a large variety of aquatic organisms where they feed such as krill, zooplankton, and small fish, farmed salmon consume a formulated high-fat feed primarily of other fish ground into fishmeal and fish oil. As a result, farmed salmon consume and concentrate in their fat tissue more of the contaminants typically found in other fish.

The study is very interesting and informative. And there are many more like it if you do a search.
-Robin
Here's a recipe that's great for those Friday nights that you need something quick and easy. I've used basic catfish filets or substituted shrimp and it turns out very nicely! Enjoy! :p   Cajun Fish From: Campbell's Kitchen Prep/Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4
Ingredients:

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small green pepper, diced (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup (regular or Healthy Request)
1/3 cup water
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
1 lb. fresh OR thawed frozen fish fillets *
Hot cooked rice, cooked without added salt

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper and oregano and cook until the green pepper is tender-crisp, stirring often.
2. Stir the soup, water, garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper into the skillet. Heat to a boil. Place the fish into the soup mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with the rice.