God Save the United States!
Well, I'm depressed! It's 02h15 CDT and it's over. The abortion ban failed in South Dakota, the clone and kill amendment is certain to pass in Missouri as a few urban precincts are all that are left to report, the pro-death Democrats have taken solid control of the US House and there is at the very least a tied Senate (Lieberman has already announced that he will vote with the Democrats). In my home State of Kansas, pro-abort "Catholic" Killer Kathy Sebelius has been re-elected Governor and our solidly pro-life Attorney General has been soundly defeated by a "tough on crime" prosecutor who doesn't think it's the AG's job to find out if the abortuaries are killing the unborn children of statutory rape victims so that the rapists can be prosecuted!

Is there any good news out there in the Home of the Free and the Land of the Brave? 
Let me add a hint of hope to my last post. I've just seen early results on the marriage protection questions around the country and that, at least, looks good. Any other good news?
California, my state, is turned over to the Democrats now (except for Schwarzenegger and the Insurance Commissioner)! And Prop. 85, the one that will make minors tell their parents their intention of having an abortion, also failed. God help us indeed!! However, I can't help thinking that the voting machines might have been tampered with, what with that documentary, Hacking Democracy, which I posted in a thread earlier.

Anyone who is interested to looking up California's results, here is the site:

http://vote.ss.ca.gov/
Quote:I can't help thinking that the voting machines might have been tampered with, what with that documentary, Hacking Democracy, which I posted in a thread earlier.

Do you have a specific in mind? As dust settles, it seems it will be a topic of discussion that much of the problem expected did not materialize. (Other then some machines malfunctionning, but that got solved with extending the polling hours).

So far, it seems it's a non-issue. Remember, exit polls acts as safeguard to some extend against outright fraud. Seems so far that exit polls are very much matching the actual results.
Every single candidate and proposition that I voted for lost. I hate Massachusetts. But the worst part was waking up and hearing what happened in South Dakota. This is an awful day. Lord have mercy.
Vandaler Wrote:
Quote:I can't help thinking that the voting machines might have been tampered with, what with that documentary, Hacking Democracy, which I posted in a thread earlier.

Do you have a specific in mind? As dust settles, it seems it will be a topic of discussion that much of the problem expected did not materialize. (Other then some machines malfunctionning, but that got solved with extending the polling hours).

So far, it seems it's a non-issue. Remember, exit polls acts as safeguard to some extend against outright fraud. Seems so far that exit polls are very much matching the actual results.

That is true. Perhaps I am a little too anxious. Maybe I am looking a little to forward, to the 2008 elections. There have been many problems in the 2004 elections, and many of the votes were discounted, even when they most likely would have made the difference. At least accusations of these things have not been quieted, I believe.
Maybe this is too simplistic, but really, what's the difference anymore between the Democrats and the Republicans? So for the last six or so years, the GOP has pretty much had control of Washington. They got us into a lovely war, abortion laws haven't changed much, if at all, and little by little our freedom is being whittled away. Really the only difference is that the Democrats will ruin things a little faster than the Republicans.

On a happier note, the Marriage Amendment passed with flying colors in my state.
JLeigh Wrote:Maybe this is too simplistic, but really, what's the difference anymore between the Democrats and the Republicans? So for the last six or so years, the GOP has pretty much had control of Washington. They got us into a lovely war, abortion laws haven't changed much, if at all, and little by little our freedom is being whittled away. Really the only difference is that the Democrats will ruin things a little faster than the Republicans.

There is no difference.  They're two sides of the same coin.

Face it.  We're screwed.
Agreed on that. You have the Republicrats or Demicans. I do my duty by voting but without the previous mania/depression that I used to have depending upon the results.

Quote:Maybe I am looking a little to forward, to the 2008 elections.

Where it needs to be improved, is in paper trail. E-voting is fine, but voters need to be able to see on paper the vote they just casted... and this trail needs to be usable in case of a contest. This is critical.

We had here, in a Montreal, a municipal election that went wrong with e-voting technology... close election with a few technical glitches. There was no way to audit the results. This is unacceptable.

So while I don't share distrust, I do join you in to need for improvement in auditability.