Cigar Smokers
Now, I am very serious.  Since I am a cigar lover, along with Chesterton and many other men (and some women) in the Church, I would like to know if there is a "Patron Saint of Cigar-Smokers" or cigar-rollers, etc.?  I have heard that the Cuban cigar-rollers do have a Patron Saint, but I don't know who it is.  Does anyone know about this?
St. Pius X smoked cigars, how about we just make him the unofficial Patron Saint of Cigars, Ciggerattes, and Pipes?
Hey, I just found that out from looking at famous smokers on Wikipedia!  He might just be our man, er, saint!  Thanks!

Unfortunately, (LOL) I also found this:

Rodrigo de Jerez - Probably the first European to smoke. He participated in Columbus' first voyage to the Americas. On Cuba he encountered the custom to inhale the smoke of herbs wrapped in a leaf, probably tobacco. In his native Spain his smoking was seen as a diabolical habit. According to oral tradition he was sentenced to seven years confinement by the Inquisition

bupanishad2012 Wrote:Hey, I just found that out from looking at famous smokers on Wikipedia!  He might just be our man, er, saint!  Thanks!

Lol my room mate actually edited wikipedia to say that but it is true.
Wikipedia is SUCH a joke...

It puts itself forward as "democratic, rational, unbiased" etc...

I would trust it for things like "how many electrons are in an atom of Iron"?
...maybe.

Anything else, take with a LARGE grain of salt. (maybe a salt lick?)

Matthew

Quote: St. Pius X smoked cigars
I would love an authoritative source on that one, for the doubters!
Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_...64,00.html

I am a practicing Catholic, a cigar smoker and a devotee, like Fr. H Jay Setter, of the French horn and chamber music.

Reading of his defense of cigars as not being a vice, I was reminded of a story that a cigar smoking priest of the Diocese of Tulsa, who is now in training for the Vatican diplomatic corps, told me. When he was a seminarian in Rome, he learned that Pius X, who was the pope from 1903 to 1914, called a bishop onto the carpet to reprimand him for his scandalous misbehavior with wine, women and song, and to correct his wrongs patiently.

The pope offered the errant bishop a cigar from the papal humidor on his desk. The bishop declined the offer with the protestation, "I do not have that vice, Your Holiness," to which His Holiness replied, "If cigars were a vice, I would not offer you one, for you have quite enough vices already."

After his death, Pope Pius X was canonized a saint and is now known as St. Pius X. According to Catholic belief, a saint is a holy person who is now in heaven. Although Pope Pius X may not have become St. Pius X because he smoked cigars, smoking cigars apparently did not keep him from being a holy man who is now in heaven. Indeed, cigars may have helped him be holy.

Let us salute not only Fr. H but also St. Pius X, whom we may regard as the patron saint of us cigar aficionados.

LOL

bupanishad2012 Wrote: 
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_...64,00.html

I am a practicing Catholic, a cigar smoker and a devotee, like Fr. H Jay Setter, of the French horn and chamber music.

Reading of his defense of cigars as not being a vice, I was reminded of a story that a cigar smoking priest of the Diocese of Tulsa, who is now in training for the Vatican diplomatic corps, told me. When he was a seminarian in Rome, he learned that Pius X, who was the pope from 1903 to 1914, called a bishop onto the carpet to reprimand him for his scandalous misbehavior with wine, women and song, and to correct his wrongs patiently.

The pope offered the errant bishop a cigar from the papal humidor on his desk. The bishop declined the offer with the protestation, "I do not have that vice, Your Holiness," to which His Holiness replied, "If cigars were a vice, I would not offer you one, for you have quite enough vices already."

After his death, Pope Pius X was canonized a saint and is now known as St. Pius X. According to Catholic belief, a saint is a holy person who is now in heaven. Although Pope Pius X may not have become St. Pius X because he smoked cigars, smoking cigars apparently did not keep him from being a holy man who is now in heaven. Indeed, cigars may have helped him be holy.

Let us salute not only Fr. H but also St. Pius X, whom we may regard as the patron saint of us cigar aficionados.

LOL

I would also like to add that those two good Catholic (LOL) girls, Madonna and Gwen Stephani, are also known to be cigar smokers.

Andrew